Becoming his own man Colmenares: Rights workers, drug war victims have proof EJKs are state-sponsored PLAY LIST 02:15Colmenares: Rights workers, drug war victims have proof EJKs are state-sponsored00:51Drilon: Court must order transfer of Bilibid inmates01:10Drilon: I voted for GCTA passage but didn’t realize implications02:11Makabayan bloc defends protesting workers, tells Año to ‘shut up’03:07PH billiards team upbeat about gold medal chances in SEA Games01:38‘Bato’ to be ‘most effective’ CHR head? It’s for public to decide – Gascon02:07Aquino to Filipinos: Stand up vs abuses before you suffer De Lima’s ordeal01:28Ex-President Noynoy Aquino admits contracting pneumonia00:45Aquino agrees with Drilon on SEA games ‘kaldero’ spending issue Thing is, the league never actually said those words.NBA spokesman Mike Bass’ statement, which had only one version and was delivered in English, began like this: “We recognize that the views expressed by Houston Rockets General Manager Daryl Morey have deeply offended many of our friends and fans in China, which is regrettable.”FEATURED STORIESSPORTSGreatest ever?SPORTSFormer PBA import Anthony Grundy passes away at 40SPORTSBecoming his own manIt continued, but never said “extremely disappointed,” ″inappropriate” or “severely hurt the feelings” of anyone.“There should be no discrepancy on the statement issued last night,” Bass said Monday. “We have seen various interpretations of the translation of the Mandarin version, but our statement in English is the league’s official statement.” The divergent language in the NBA’s Chinese Weibo statement appears to be an effort to assuage people in China who have expressed outrage over Morey’s initial tweet, though Monday’s post appeared to be insufficient for many on Weibo. Commenters accused Morey of supporting Hong Kong independence and called on Chinese basketball fans to boycott the NBA.Calls to the NBA China offices in Beijing and Shanghai went unanswered Monday, a national holiday.Morey’s tweet prompted a wave of censure from Chinese companies.A search Monday for Houston Rockets merchandise on Chinese e-commerce platform Taobao turned up zero results. Li-Ning, a major Chinese sporting goods brand, said in a statement Sunday it was suspending cooperation with the Rockets because of Morey’s “mistaken remarks.” Hupu, a sports news website, has likewise suspended all coverage of the Rockets and locked the section of its website previously dedicated to the team.Meanwhile, some U.S. lawmakers and even Democratic presidential candidate Julian Castro have condemned the NBA for succumbing to Chinese censorship.The NBA has allowed and even encouraged its players and coaches to be outspoken on social and political issues in the United States, which makes this move stand out.A former British colony, Hong Kong was returned to China in 1997 under the framework of “one country, two systems,” which promises the territory certain democratic freedoms not afforded to the mainland. Some anti-government protesters in recent months have violently expressed their opposition to the ruling Communist Party.Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Divers fight Senegal’s plastic tide MOST READ LATEST STORIES DTI creates Marahuyo, a luxe Filipino fashion brand for global buyers View comments Matteo Guidicelli had saved up for Sarah G’s ring since 2014? This jewelry designer is also an architect Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Duterte calls himself, Go, Cayetano ‘the brightest stars’ in PH politics The “hurt feelings” phrase is commonly used by Chinese authorities to describe perceived gaffes by foreign parties. Similar phrasing was used by Mercedes-Benz in February 2018 when it had to apologize for quoting the Tibetan spiritual leader, the Dalai Lama, in a social media post. The auto company apologized for “wrong information” that “hurt the feelings of Chinese people.”Morey tweeted a now-deleted image that read “Fight for Freedom. Stand with Hong Kong,” in reference to four months of pro-democracy demonstrations in the semiautonomous Chinese territory, which has been mired in escalating violence between protesters and law enforcement.As a result of the tweet, the Chinese Basketball Association — whose president is Yao Ming, the former Rockets center — said Sunday it was suspending its relationship with the team, and Chinese media giant Tencent and Chinese state television said they would no longer be broadcasting Rockets games.Fallout continued Monday when two NBA G League games between Houston’s affiliate and Dallas’ affiliate, scheduled to be played this month in China, were canceled.Both Morey and the NBA then said his tweets do not represent the Rockets or the league.ADVERTISEMENT Drilon apologizes to BCDA’s Dizon over false claim on designer of P50-M ‘kaldero’ Canadian vaping study details danger from ‘popcorn lung’ chemical Ethel Booba on SEA Games cauldron: ‘Sulit kung corrupt ang panggatong’ Houston Rockets guard Russell Westbrook, left, grabs at James Harden as they joke around at the bench during the second half of an NBA basketball preseason game against the Shanghai Sharks, Monday, Sept. 30, 2019, in Houston. (AP Photo/Michael Wyke)BEIJING — The NBA statement originally made in English had a different twist when it came out in Chinese.The NBA’s Chinese social media account posted a statement Monday saying the league was “extremely disappointed” by Houston Rockets general manager Daryl Morey’s “inappropriate” tweet that showed support for Hong Kong anti-government protesters, adding that Morey’s view “severely hurt the feelings of Chinese fans.”ADVERTISEMENT
Hyderabad, Sep 9 (PTI) Police here today claimed to have busted an inter-state fake currency racket after arresting three persons, including a woman, and counterfeit currency notes of face value Rs 11.95 lakh were seized from them.Acting on a tip-off, Commissioners Task Force, South Zone Team, with the help of Charminar Police, apprehended Mohd Ghouse, a fruit vendor from Chandrayangutta, besides Shareeful Shaikh and Jahannara Bibi, both from West Bengals Malda district, when they were allegedly exchanging the fake notes, police said.Mohd Ghouse was released from jail about one-and-half months back and revived his old contacts in Malda, with whom he was previously involved in supplying counterfeit currency notes, they said.”About 10 days back he contacted one of his old supplier Babloo Shaik of Malda. On September 7 Babloo sent fake currency notes of face value Rs 12 lakh through his mother Jahannara Bibi and brother-in-law Shareeful Shaik,” Additional DCP N Koti Reddy said.They were caught red-handed with Rs 11,95,000.Babloo Shaik, the prime accused in the case, is yet to be arrested. Further investigation is on, the officer said. PTI VVK DK NSD SDM
Two days after R Sai Kishore and Jagadeesan Narayan were involved in an on-field brawl during a Tamil Nadu Premier League match, no action has been taken yet on the players by the league or the BCCI. Chapauk Super Gillies spinner R Sai Kishore dismissed Dindigul Dragons batsman Jagadeeshan Narayan and what followed was unbecoming of the players and tarnished the gentleman’s game. Despite dismissing the batsman, Kishore confronted Jagadeeshan and then shockingly even pushed him. This was not just banter or sledging, this was physical contact, this was crossing the line. India international spinner, R Ashwin was at the non-striker’s end and he immediately intervened, asking his teammate to move aside. Ashwin’s experience and actions may have prevented his teammate Narayan from crossing the line himself. The usually calm and composed Ashwin was visibly upset at Kishore’s actions, giving him a piece of his mind and asking him to behave. Soon players and umpires separated the players before things really got out of hand. But for the millions watching the game, this came as a complete shock. “They are very disturbing visuals, but I am glad what Ashwin did. Some sense prevailed with R Ashwin trying to diffuse the situation. But if you think back to what happened between Harbhajan Singh and Sreesanth in the 1st season of the IPL, both players were banned and you have got to do it because physical violence on the cricket field or in fact any field of play in any sport is not acceptable. Whoever that is, however big a player you are, whichever part of the world it is in, a ban has to be imposed. You have got to make an example because youngsters are watching,” says sports historian Boria Majumdar. The scene not just shocked the fans but even left former cricketers fuming. Chetan Chauhan told India Today, “Cricket is becoming more and more professional and players have to give their best. While trying to give their best these incidents happen, people lose temper, people lose control of themselves and they cross the limit which I am absolutely against because there is no room for physical contact in cricket. It is not soccer, it is not wrestling or rugby, cricketers have to behave and stay within the limit. The right thing would be that BCCI should step in and these players should be fined heavily.” Under the ICC Code of Conduct, physical violence on the cricket field is a Level 4 offence and players could be banned for one year or even life, depending on the gravity of the offence. “First of all you have got to immediately suspend the players and then put a disciplinary committee in place which investigates what went on and who was at fault and then maybe ban the guilty player for a year or maybe more than that. You have got to suspend the players and warn them that this kind of behaviour is unacceptable in the future. It is also a case of leniency because if you do not take action then the credibility of the league gets affected,” added Boria Majumdar. To his credit, Ashwin played down the incident post match, saying that such things happen in the heat of the moment while rival captain R Sathish too echoed Ashwin’s sentiments. R Sai Kishore’s Super Gillies may have won the match against Ashwin’s Dindigul Dragons but the win may yet prove to be very costly for the spinner. Even if he is let off this time, any further offence may put his career in jeopardy.advertisement
Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) president Anurag Thakur has hit back at International Cricket Council (ICC) chairman Shashank Manohar, accusing him jumping off a “sinking ship” when he was needed the most and now “arm-twisting” the very board which gave him the platform to become an ICC chief. (ICC forced to withdraw two-tier Test proposal)UGLY BATTLE In what is turning out to be an ugly fight between world cricket’s richest board and the game’s governing body, Thakur, who stopped short of threatening a pullout from next year’s Champions Trophy in England, time and again reiterated that such treatment should not be meted out to the global leader in cricket.”It doesn’t matter if I am disappointed with the ICC Chairman’s statement or not. I have to convey the feelings of the BCCI members. I am the President of the board. The members feel today that when the board needed Mr Manohar as the President, he left the boat in the middle of things. It was like a captain of the ship leaving it to sink before the other members. He was expected to deliver. Yes, BCCI should look after its interests, that is why we are here for,” Thakur said on Saturday at the sidelines of Duleep Trophy final in Greater Noida. (Two-tier Test scheme should have been shot down early: Anurag Thakur)’MANOHAR HAS FORGOT BCCI’Thakur said that Manohar’s main aim was to get the top ICC job and after having achieved it, he forgot about his home board.advertisement”Certain amendments were made in the ICC constitution. Manohar was on the board to make these changes. As a President of the BCCI, he should have taken into confidence all the members of the board, which he did not. The amendments were made and he became the Independent Chairman. At the back of his mind, he had an idea that he was looking for a position to establish himself and thus made the amendments. Today when he says he has nothing to do with the BCCI, he should realise that it is the same BCCI which has given him the platform to become an ICC Chairman. And, if he continues to say that then remember that BCCI is one of the 105 members and one of the most important stakeholders of the game,” he said.He also responded to comments made by Manohar about the significance of Test cricket.”Look at the ICC Chairman’s statement. He is saying who will watch a Test match. Then what were the ICC members doing in a meeting in Dubai about the future of Test cricket? Why were they discussing it? Mr Manohar should definitely make a clarification of that statement. I think it raises a big question mark on the future of Test cricket if it is coming from the ICC Chairman. On the other hand, BCCI is playing the highest number of Test matches in a year, home and away. So, our intentions are very clear. We are open about changes, we have and will continue to experiment with the pink ball. We are not in a hurry to implement pink ball,” he said. (New selectors to be appointed post interviews, no role for CAC: Anurag Thakur)THAKUR QUESTIONS FUNDS ALLOCATION TO ECBICC allocating a considerable amount to England and Wales Cricket Board for the conduct of next year’s Champions Trophy has irked BCCI, something which was highlighted by Thakur.”BCCI can’t just limit itself to look after board’s interest. We are the global leaders and look after interests of world cricket as well. That is why we have raised the issue when the rest kept mum that we want to go through Champions Trophy budget and make a comparison as well. Compare the World Cup with the Champions Trophy. We had 56 matches, Champions Trophy has close to 16 matches. We had eight venues, they have only three. It (World T20) was a 49-day event while Champions Trophy is only for 20 days. So, look at the cost. The per match cost is three times higher. BCCI has raised this because we want every single penny saved. It will be a penny saved for everyone, not just BCCI but all the 105 countries,” he saidThe BCCI president said India could’ve benefited from the two-tier system by joining hands with Australia and England but decided against it.”We stood by countries like Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, Zimbabwe and to an extent, like the West Indies. Those countries could have suffered, we want to stand by them. BCCI has always helped those countries who are financially poor and we will continue to do so in future as well. Also, as far as global telecast rights issue is concerned, if England and Australia are struggling to sell their TV rights, it has nothing to do with the BCCI. We have always said that we will work in the interest of global cricket.”advertisementON INDIA’S PARTICIPATION IN CHAMPIONS TROPHYHe said that only time will decide India’s participation in 2017 Champions Trophy.”Let the time come. BCCI is strong enough to take tough decisions. It is a hypothetical question whether we will pull out or not. But, if BCCI has to pull out in its and global cricket’s interest, we need to look at various areas,” he said.ICC TRYING TO SIDELINE BCCIThakur added that the new ICC regime is trying to sideline the BCCI.”With the Lodha recommendations here and change in the ICC, we are being arm twisted both at home and away. The situation of BCCI which was a global leader till the recommendations of the Lodha Committee. Now, with the new ICC regime, they are trying to sideline BCCI, one of the best stakeholders in global cricket today. Just by one recommendation, we are not taken seriously. I we need to look at the overall sports infrastructure in the country. It is only BCCI which has not taken a single penny from the government. We don’t look at government funding and look at the way we are treated in this country,” he said.