Pedro Chelsea have completed the signing of Spain international forward Pedro.The World Cup winner was given the green light to join Jose Mourinho’s side after the Blues agreed a £21.4million deal with Barcelona.He has now signed a long-term contract with the Premier League champions after undergoing a successful medical at the club’s training ground on Thursday afternoon.“I am very happy to be here,” he told Chelsea’s official website. “I am very excited to start my adventure at Chelsea and I am here to keep winning titles.“Thanks to the club and the supporters for giving me the opportunity to put the blue shirt on.”Pedro had been a top target for Manchester United, with their executive vice-chairman Ed Woodward holding talks with Barca chiefs earlier this week over a deal.But Chelsea made a late move for the 28-year-old and acted quickly to wrap up a deal ahead of their Premier League rivals.Pedro will have some familiar faces at Stamford Bridge in fellow Spain internationals Cesc Fabregas, Cesar Azpilicueta and Diego Costa. 1
Former Chelsea striker Tony Cascarino believes the fractured relationships within the current Blues squad is completely unprecedented – and manager Jose Mourinho is ‘shell-shocked’ at the ongoing turmoil.The Premier League champions have endured a torrid start to the season, languishing in 15th after losing half of their ten league games so far including a 2-1 defeat to West Ham at the weekend.Mourinho, meanwhile, has publicly slammed his players and faced numerous FA charges for his behaviour with disharmony at Stamford Bridge seemingly rife.Cascarino believes Chelsea have turned into a soap opera, particularly as defender Gary Cahill was forced to face the media instead of his manager after the West Ham defeat.“It feels like every week that there is another episode in front of us. You just don’t know what’s around the corner now,” Cascarino told Drivetime.“I think Mourinho must be shell-shocked because he has never experienced anything like this in his career – we are all expecting things to change but they haven’t.“The strange thing about Saturday was that Cahill faced the media. He had to explain their loss to West Ham and what was happening which I thought was really strange.“There must be relationships at the club that are nowhere near as strong as they once were. “When the books come out a few years down the line we’ll find out a lot more about this period because one thing is for sure – it doesn’t all add up.”
1 Hatem Ben Arfa Former Newcastle schemer Hatem Ben Arfa could be on his way to Inter Milan in January, claim reports in Italy.The Frenchman left St. James’ Park for Nice at the beginning of 2015 after his career with the Toon petered out.After he was released by Newcastle, Ben Arfa returned to his homeland to play for Nice and has regained top form, hitting seven goals in 17 appearances and earning a recall to the France squad.Now, according to Gazzetta dello Sport, Inter are preparing a January bid and are sending scouts to Friday’s Ligue 1 clash with Lorient as they ramp up their interest.
1 Granit Xhaka has talked up the Premier League with Liverpool and Arsenal both said to be interested Having exacted revenge on Man City for the League Cup final defeat, some Liverpool fans are already planning for the future.It seems certain manager Jurgen Klopp will change things up in the summer with some players leaving Anfield to make way for new faces.And when Borussia Monchengladbach midfielder Granit Xhaka revealed he harbours dreams of playing in England, some Liverpool supporters have urged the club to snap him up, along with the likes of Jack Butland and Mario Gotze.Will there be a Xhaka/ Can combo? Looks like there ain’t nobody supporters don’t want, as you can see from the tweets below.Realistically, which players would like to see move to the club?
Virginia public schools spokesman Charles Pyle said the Education Department’s health specialist has received about eight calls about the problem since school started. Last year, he received only two calls during the entire fall semester. “We’re not viewing this as something to be overly alarmed about,” Pyle said.160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREGame Center: Chargers at Kansas City Chiefs, Sunday, 10 a.m.On Friday, the high school in Galax, Va., postponed a football game because of an infection on its football team. School officials said they could not clean the equipment in time for the kickoff. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta does not track staph infections but confirmed that the cases seem to be more widespread than in the past. “Most of these are mild infections,” agency spokeswoman Nicole Coffin said. “They can be as simple as a pimple or a boil, or as serious as a blood infection.” The drug-resistant strain, called methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus strain, or MRSA, can be especially stubborn. It resists treatment with penicillin and related antibiotics but can be treated with other drugs. The potentially fatal germ typically thrives in health care settings where people have open wounds. But in recent years, outbreaks have also occurred in schools. RICHMOND, Va. – Schools across the country are reporting outbreaks of staph infections, particularly among athletes, and the germs include an antibiotic-resistant strain that is sometimes associated with serious skin problems and blood disorders. The infections have forced districts to call off classes, cancel sporting events and disinfect entire buildings. Several students have been hospitalized. Many of the infections are being spread in gyms and locker rooms, where athletes – perhaps suffering from cuts or abrasions – share sports equipment. In Virginia, a Newport News high school closed its weight room Thursday to be disinfected after at least four students were infected – one with the drug-resistant strain. The drug-resistant patient, a football player, was hospitalized for three days.
HACIENDA HEIGHTS – Authorities have identified Kevin Michael King as the driver who was killed when his pickup truck hit a light pole over the weekend. The fatal crash happened at 1:35 a.m. Saturday when it was raining. A 2002 Toyota pickup was traveling east on Colima Road approaching Sierra Peak Way at an unknown speed when the driver lost control during the rain, according to Sgt. Royal Nelson of the California Highway Patrol. Nelson said the pickup crashed into a light pole and the driver died at the scene. AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREGame Center: Chargers at Kansas City Chiefs, Sunday, 10 a.m.The Los Angeles County Coroner’s Office said King, 25, of Rowland Heights, died of blunt trauma. It also said the crash has been ruled as an accident. Watch meeting slated for tonight SOUTH WHITTIER – A Neighborhood Watch meeting will be held at 6:30 p.m. today at Telechron Elementary School, 11200 Telechron Ave. Officials from Los Angeles County Fire and Sheriff’s departments and the California Highway Patrol are expected to be present. For information, call (562) 698-7645. VFW post plans fish fry on Friday SANTA FE SPRINGS – The Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 3752 will hold a fish fry from 5:30 to 8 p.m. Friday at its post, 11912 Rivera Road. Cost is $6. For more information, call (562) 698-9059. Free blood sugar testing offered WHITTIER – Free blood sugar testing will be offered 9a.m. Thursday at the Uptown Senior Center, 13225 Walnut St., and 1:30 p.m. the same day at Parnell Park, 15390 Lambert Road. For more information, call (562) 464-3370 or (562)464-3350. Council seeks teaching volunteers WHITTIER – The Whittier Area Literacy Council is looking for volunteers to take part in tutor training from 9 a.m. to noon beginning Saturday. Volunteers will train for four consecutive Saturdays through Nov. 17 at the Literacy Center, 12911 Hadley St. The center will train tutors to teach literacy and English as a Second Language. The center tutors 68 students with more than 40 people on the waiting list for ESL, children’s literacy and adult literacy. For more information, call (562) 698-6598. Group to present Shakespeare scenes WHITTIER – The Whittier Cultural Arts Foundation is presenting a special program of scenes from four Shakespeare plays at 10 a.m. Monday and Oct. 23 and 24 at the Whittier Center Theatre, 7630 Washington Ave. The program, presented by TheaterCreations and funded by the Whittier Cultural Arts Foundation, centers on a seasonal theme with scenes from “MacBeth,” “The Tempest,” “Hamlet” and “A Midsummer Night’s Dream.” Between the scenes, the actors will relate facts and information about Shakespeare’s life and theater customs. The program is directed at middle school students who will find the various plots and situations in the plays entertaining. For more information, call (562) 693-1105. Story time and more for toddlers SANTA FE SPRINGS – The Santa Fe Springs Public Library, 11700 Telegraph Road, hosts a preschool story time at 10 a.m. every Wednesday. Parents are encouraged to bring their children up to 5 years old to the library for songs, stories, crafts and a snack. Stay after story time for kids to play with educational toys or try out the library’s new computers designed just for its young patrons. No registration or fees are required for this program. For more information, call (562) 868-7738. – From staff reports 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!
PARIS – A Paris prosecutor has thrown out a complaint against former Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld for torture in Iraq and at the U.S. military detention camp at Guantanamo Bay, a lawyer for one of the four groups that filed the case said Friday. The prosecutor dismissed the case on the grounds that Rumsfeld benefits from immunity, said attorney Patrick Baudoin, president of the International Federation of Human Rights. The organizations that brought the complaint have asked the prosecutor to reconsider. The complaint was filed Oct. 25 during a visit by Rumsfeld to Paris. Prosecutor Jean-Claude Marin said Rumsfeld is covered by the immunity accorded to heads of state or government and foreign ministers for acts during their time in office, according to a letter seen by The Associated Press. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREPettersson scores another winner, Canucks beat Kings
WEST DONEGAL is about to be put firmly in the picture with the news that planning permission has been granted for a new cinema in Gaoth Dobhair.Local businessman Hugh Martin Doherty hopes to build a 250 seater cinema on the site of the Hotel Glenveagh, formerly known as The Dodge.The only cinema in the area, the Astor Cinema in Derrybeg, closed some time in the mid 1980s. There was also cinemas in other local nearby towns including Falcarragh and Dungloe but these all closed down more than 30 years ago as well.Mr Doherty hopes to create up to 20 full-time jobs when the cinema is officially open with plans to have three screens in the complex.The cinema will contain a 110 seat theatre as well as smaller 90 seater and 50 seater theatres.Mr Doherty said he hopes that cinema-goers will be munching popcorn and watching the latest blockbusters in time for Christmas. At present people from West Donegal must travel to the nearest cinema in Letterkenny to see the latest movies.EndsWEST DONEGAL TO GET ITS OWN 250 SEAT CINEMA was last modified: March 31st, 2011 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:cinemadonegalpopcorn
A rent dispute is believed to be the reason behind the closure of one of Donegal’s best-known newsagents.Loyal customers of Proctor’s Newsagent in the Letterkenny Shopping Centre were left stunned to find the shutters down on the store yesterday morning.No notice had been posted on the shutters to give any indication of the sudden closure. The store is owned by respected businessman Brendan Proctor.It is understood that Mr Proctor has been in negotiations with the owners of the shopping centre, Harcourt Developments.However Donegaldaily.com understands that Mr Proctor decided it was no longer economically viable to continue to pay the rent on the premises and handed back the keys.Another storeowner, Alfie Greene of Greene’s Shoes, also had a dispute with the shopping centre two years ago. A source close to Mr Proctor said he had been left with no option but to close down his premises.“This decision was not taken lightly because Brendan is a family man as well as a businessman. He knows people’s jobs are on the line.“But he was simply left with no alternative from a financial point of view.“This has not been an overnight decision. There has been a lot of dialogue between Brendan and the owners but Brendan decided he had just had enough,” said the source.RENT DISPUTE BEHIND SUDDEN CLOSURE OF WELL-KNOWN NEWSAGENT SHOP was last modified: November 18th, 2011 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:Brendan ProctorLetterkenny Shopping Centre.Proctor’s Newsagent
Spain international Diego Costa was involved in an altercation with Gareth Barry Chelsea interim boss Guus Hiddink believes Diego Costa was targeted by Football Association disciplinary chiefs after being absolved of a bite on Gareth Barry.Costa nuzzled into the neck of Everton midfielder Barry in an altercation which led to his first dismissal as a Chelsea player in last Saturday’s FA Cup loss at Goodison Park.Barry afterwards insisted nothing untoward had happened during their altercation, but Costa was charged with improper conduct following his reaction to being shown red by referee Michael Oliver. He had until Thursday at 6pm to respond, with the verdict to be announced next week.Costa, who is suspended for Saturday’s Barclays Premier League clash with West Ham, could find his ban extended, but avoided the prospect of a further sanction when the FA investigated a gesture made at half-time and found the striker had no case to answer.“What I smell and didn’t like, and what I spoke about with Diego (is): ‘hey, he cannot be charged on this, on the kiss, but let’s see if there’s other things we can find’,” Hiddink said.“If you cannot prove the bite, then sometimes, in my personal opinion, they are looking a bit ‘where can we chase him? What can we find more on this guy?’”Asked what Costa was doing in the incident with Barry, Hiddink said: “Maybe a kiss. Love. Maybe it was love between the two.”Put to the Dutchman that it was odd behaviour, Hiddink added: “Yes. Everyone has his reactions.”Hiddink has spoken to Costa, who has scored 11 goals in his last 16 games, and hopes the striker can learn to control his volatile temper. Hiddink accepts provocation by opponents is part of the game.The Blues boss said: “It’s part of the game to play a bit with that – ‘how far can we get him out of his comfort zone and get him into the red zone?’“The player has to control himself. That is why I said I cannot guarantee he will not explode as he has done.“I talked to him and we talked many times about him playing on the edge and his reactions. We were happy and are still happy with his performances.“What we all like, but not going over the edge, is to play as he is doing, with a lot of blood. Whether or not bit by bit (he is) provoked, he has to control himself. He knows (that).“If he reduces what he did more frequently in the past, we are progressing. We have to have hope.” 1