Scott Israel, the suspended Broward sheriff who is running to reclaim the position, is now answering questions about his omissions in a past job application.Israel appears to have omitted details from an application completed while applying for the job of North Bay Village police chief in 2004, after serving as a Fort Lauderdale police officer since 1979.His leading opponent, Sheriff Gregory Tony, was appointed by Gov. Ron DeSantis in January 2019 to replace Israel.Tony, who was selected by Gov. Ron DeSantis to replace Israel in Jan. 2019, recently faced scrutiny as well, regarding issues such as his decision not to disclose his experimenting with LSD and a juvenile arrest on a murder charge in Philadelphia, for which he was later found not guiltyMeanwhile, Israel’s 2004 application was part of a background check by the Florida Department of Law Enforcement. He wrote on the application that he had never been named as a defendant in a lawsuit and never had a lien against him.However, Israel had actually been named in two foreclosure actions, as well as twice as a named defendant in lawsuits against the Fort Lauderdale Police Department.Both foreclosure actions involved the same property. Israel was never served with a notice in the first one, according to records.“In the mid-1980s, Sheriff Israel lent money to a friend to buy a condo and co-signed the mortgage for him,” Israel campaign consultant Amy Rose explained in an email to the South Florida Sun Sentinel. His name was not on the title.She added, “Sheriff Israel never owned the property or lived in it. … It became apparent that Sheriff Israel and the Homeowners Association were only named as defendants to wipe out their interest in the property.”Please see a note from Sheriff Gregory Tony below. pic.twitter.com/0Q1BQR8Gia— Sheriff Gregory Tony 2020 (@sherifftony2020) May 3, 2020 As far as the police lawsuits, Israel again said he was never served and was unaware that he was sued.“During the time period these suits were filed [in the 1980s] Sheriff Israel worked as an undercover narcotics detective and it was common for the city to be sued for seizures,” Rose said. “All lawsuits against the city or an officer in his/her official capacity were served on the Police Dept. and handled by the City.”Both lawsuits were dismissed soon after they were filed, according to court records.On his FDLE form, Israel disclosed a 1975 arrest for trespassing at a motel in Key West. “Israel could have easily lied about his teenage arrest record because no documentation exists and generally it is very difficult for background investigators to uncover misdemeanor arrests,” Rose said. “Sheriff Israel has always disclosed this information as required.”Gov. DeSantis suspended Israel last year due to criticism of his handling of mass shootings at Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport and Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland.
Kobe Bryant gives advice to LeBron James: ‘You just gotta keep pushing’ When asked if he expected James to be ready for the Nets, the coach added: “Yeah, we’ll see how he feels tomorrow, but I think he’ll go tomorrow.”James’ switch to the Lakers has not produced the results many were expecting, with the team set to miss out on the playoffs in the Western Conference. LeBron James is in contention to return for the Los Angeles Lakers against the Brooklyn Nets on Friday, coach Luke Walton has confirmed.James sat out the Lakers’ defeats to the Detroit Pistons and the Milwaukee Bucks as his team continue to manage their star player’s minutes. But Walton is hopeful the 34-year-old will return against the Nets after coming through Thursday’s practice.”We had 12 bodies [for practice],” Walton told reporters. “Lebron did about half of practice.” Related News Injuries – including a number suffered by James – have hampered their chances, but Walton has been proud of the team’s determination to keep fighting.He added: “The injuries we have and where we’re at in the season, it can be easy to quit sometimes and our guys are going out there and competing and playing as hard as they can and giving us a chance to be in the games. “We felt like we should have won two of those games, and we were in all of them with limited numbers. So as long as we keep getting that type of effort, I’m happy with the group.”
North Carolina has long been recognized as an elite, blue-blood program when it comes to college basketball. But it hasn’t really taken the route other top-flight schools have in recent years. That could be about to change though, as the Tar Heels are starting to land talented young recruits that could change their image.Roy Williams has coached North Carolina for 16 years and won three national championships, but only five one-and-done players have left for the NBA under his watch. Despite being a major attraction, the Tar Heels just haven’t had the kind of young talent that makes league scouts drool from the start like their competition at Duke, Kentucky, Kansas, UCLA and others. They’ve definitely produced pros, but usually only after they’ve developed for a few years. But even then, those prospects aren’t usually lottery picks. “They do not make as many mistakes and in fact, I’m sure they’d rather have the kids go two years. If you watch 6-foot-10 against 6-foot-10 rather than go to a high school game and watch 6-10 against 6-2… but the fact of the matter is there is no rule that’s perfect. You’ve got guys like LeBron James and Kobe Bryant that did not make mistakes. Some other guys did make mistakes, but there’s no perfect rule so I don’t get too upset about anything.”North Carolina is in a position where it could start to poach the cream of the crop, and an influx of top recruits could bring about more youthful Tar Heel basketball, unlike what we’ve seen from the seasoned veterans they’ve come to know and love. Thursday, Coby White and Nassir Little became the fourth and fifth players to successfully enter the NBA after one collegiate season under Williams at UNC. They joined Marvin Williams (2005), Brandan Wright (2007) and Tony Bradley (2017). Little is unique in that he was a top-five recruit — something North Carolina has only had four of in the last decade, according to 247Sports. The other three were John Henson (No. 5), Harrison Barnes (No. 1) and Cole Anthony (No. 4), who is the top-ranked point guard in the class of 2019.All the players just mentioned were first-round draft picks in their respective classes, and while North Carolina’s recent academic scandal has impacted recruitment, it appears like the Tar Heels are bouncing back. Related News Little was expected to be one-and-done from the moment he stepped on campus and remained in draft conversations despite his inability to crack the starting lineup during his freshman year. He slid to the Trail Blazers at No. 25 in this year’s draft though, but White’s rise to prominence and being picked No. 7 pick was a surprise, as he rose to five-star status later than most and was ranked 25th in 2018.People will be watching Anthony very closely this season, as he’s expected to be considered among the best point guards in the country and could possibly be a top-five pick in 2020. The 6-3 guard’s explosiveness is rivaled by few and and his performance might inspire more players looking to have a short stint with one of college basketball’s most storied programs before making a jump to the NBA.”You know I’m a guy that always thinks the glass is half full and I think college basketball has been great,” Williams said when addressing the one-and-done rule on 99.9 The Fan last September. “I thought when the kids could go straight out of high school it was okay. With the one and done, I think it’s been great and I think it’s been an NBA rule, it’s better for them. NBA Draft 2019: 5 undrafted players to watch