Bars, restaurants, cinemas and schools were shutting down from New York and Los Angeles to Paris and Dubai in a worldwide effort to combat the coronavirus pandemic, as financial markets tumbled despite emergency action by global central banks.Germans were asked to cancel all vacations as Canada, Chile and other countries closed their borders to visitors. Peru deployed masked military personnel to block major roads while Ireland launched a campaign to recruit more healthcare workers. Airlines slashed flights, shed jobs and asked governments for billions of dollars in loans and grants.In contrast to much of the world, Mexico and Brazil still held large political rallies and the United Kingdom kept its schools open. Topics : Global markets reeled on Monday, with US stock indexes plunging more than 12% as the Federal Reserve’s second emergency rate cut to near zero stoked fears of a coronavirus-driven recession.EU finance ministers were planning a coordinated economic response to the virus, which the European Commission says could push the European Union into recession.A White House adviser said the United States could pump $800 billion or more into the economy to minimize damage.The World Health Organization (WHO) called on all countries on Monday to ramp up their testing programs as the best way to slow the advance of the pandemic. “We have a simple message to all countries – test, test, test,” WHO Director General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus told a news conference in Geneva. “All countries should be able to test all suspected cases. They cannot fight this pandemic blindfolded.”Getting worse in ItalyIn Italy, another 349 people died on Monday, taking the total to 2,158, with nearly 28,000 cases, after 368 deaths were reported on Sunday, a daily toll more dire than even China was reporting at the peak of the outbreak.”Many children think it is scary,” Norwegian Prime Minister Erna Solberg told a news conference dedicated to answering children’s questions about the pandemic.”It is OK to be scared when so many things happen at the same time,” Solberg said.Several countries banned mass gatherings such as sports, cultural and religious events to combat the fast-spreading respiratory disease that has infected nearly 179,000 people globally and killed more than 7,000.Just a month ago, financial markets were hitting record highs on the assumption the outbreak would largely be contained in China. There have now been more cases and more deaths outside mainland China than inside. US states pleaded with the Trump administration on Monday to coordinate a national response to the outbreak, saying patchwork measures enacted by state and local authorities were insufficient to confront the coast-to-coast emergency that has killed at least 74 Americans.A few hours later, President Donald Trump issued national guidelines that included avoiding gatherings of more than 10 people and the closing of bars and restaurants.Many states had already taken those steps and were implementing even more stringent measures such as curfews. San Francisco will urge residents to shelter in place for three weeks starting on Tuesday, the San Francisco Chronicle reported.Spain and France, where cases and fatalities have begun surging at a pace just days behind that of Italy, imposed severe lockdowns over the weekend.The Middle East business and travel hub of Dubai said it was closing all bars and lounges until the end of March. Thailand plans to close schools, bars, movie theatres and popular cockfighting arenas.”The worst is yet ahead for us,” said Dr. Anthony Fauci, the top infectious diseases expert in the United States, a warning echoed by officials in Switzerland, where 14 have died.Italy’s Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte told daily Corriere della Sera that the outbreak was still getting worse, though the governor of Lombardy, the northern region that has suffered the worst, said he saw the first signs of a slowdown.Britain has asked manufacturers including Ford Motor Co , Honda and Rolls Royce to help make health equipment, including ventilators to cope with the outbreak, and will look at using hotels as hospitals.The International Olympic Committee will hold talks with heads of international sports organizations on Tuesday, a source close to a federation briefed on the issue said, amid doubts the Tokyo 2020 Olympics set to start on July 24 can proceed.
Topics : The EU’s health agency Monday urged countries seeing an increase in cases of COVID-19 to reinstate some curbs, warning of a resurgence of cases in parts of Europe.In its latest risk assessment, the European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control (ECDC) said there was evidence that the novel coronavirus was picking up speed.”While many countries are now testing mild and asymptomatic cases, which has resulted in increased case reports, there is a true resurgence in cases in several countries as a result of physical distancing measures being relaxed,” the agency said. The Stockholm-based agency said for those countries seeing an increase “the risk of further escalation of COVID-19 is high.”If those countries fail to implement or reinforce restrictions, the risk was “very high,” it warned.According to the ECDC, countries that had seen the increase after control measures were lifted, “should consider re-instating selected measures through a phased, step-wise and sustainable approach.”The ECDC also said the total number of daily cases, as well as the 14-day incidence rate seemed to be increasing, “although it is currently lower than the first peak which occurred on April 9, 2020.”In the two weeks leading up to August 2, most of the over 100,000 new cases were reported in Spain, Romania, France, the UK and Germany, it said.According to a tally by AFP, over 3 .3 million cases of COVID-19 have so far been recorded in Europe as well as 213,353 deaths.
FORMER champion Lucian Bute, who was at the recent WBC Convention in Hollywood, Florida, will star in a light heavyweight eliminator, trying to earn an opportunity to take on absolute champion Adonis Stevenson, but first he must convincingly defeat Eleider Alvarez on February 24 in Canada.“Alvarez is a great challenge. We are going to have an exacting eliminator against him, in order to face Stevenson for the WBC championship. It is an honour and a privilege to fight with Alvarez and if I defeat him I will probably go for the championship with Stevenson, which is my golden dream,” said a loquacious, thus far from mute Bute, adding:“I was already a champion at 168 pounds, but now I want to climb to the 175 pounds division. I’m in camp and in great shape.” Bute also explained that the doping issue was resolved. He explained it happened due to a contaminated supplement and not something that allowed him to improve his performance.
Three-time Grand Slam champion Andy Murray has undergone hip-resurfacing surgery, after which he admitted he felt “battered and bruised.”The former world No. 1 said after his first-round loss to Roberto Bautista Agut at the Australian Open that he would make a quick decision over whether to have the surgery in a bid to try to prolong his career, although the operation doesn’t guarantee he will play again. “I now have a metal hip as you can see in the second photo and I look like I’ve got a bit of a gut in photo one!” Speaking in Melbourne during the season-opening major, Bryan said: “Seeing the way Andy Murray is feeling hit a nerve with me. I would love to see him do a similar surgery, feel the relief that it gives. I think our hips are pretty similar: just worn down, no cartilage.”The American added: “I personally don’t underestimate Andy Murray. You look at the great workers in history: [Ivan] Lendl, [Jim] Courier, [Andy] Roddick. This guy is maybe even a step up from those guys.”There’s no evidence that it’s possible [to play again] in tennis. I mean, so much wear and tear. But I think he could do it.” I underwent a hip resurfacing surgery in London yesterday morning…feeling a bit battered and bruised just now but hopefully that will be the end of my hip pain I now have a metal hip as you can see in the 2nd photo and I look like I’ve got a bit of a gut in photoA post shared by Andy Murray (@andymurray) on Jan 29, 2019 at 12:18am PSTMurray, 31, had another hip surgery 12 months ago in Melbourne and played only 12 matches in 2018 following his return at Queen’s Club in June.Before his loss to Bautista Agut, a tearful Murray said in a news conference that he had been in pain for “about 20 months” but had the option of either delaying surgery and making an emotional farewell at Wimbledon later this year or having it now and running the risk of never playing again.Doubles legend Bob Bryan had the hip-resurfacing procedure last August and encouraged Murray, a two-time Olympic champion, to follow suit, Bryan having made his comeback at the start of this season at the age of 40. The Scot on Tuesday posted a picture of himself on social media, confirming that he had decided to go through with surgery.”I underwent a hip resurfacing surgery in London yesterday morning … feeling a bit battered and bruised just now but hopefully that will be the end of my hip pain,” he posted on Instagram and Facebook. Related News Novak Djokovic strengthens grip on No. 1; American Frances Tiafoe breaks into top 30 for first time View this post on Instagram