New Delhi: The Centre on Monday said no person excluded from the final NRC list will be detained till he or she exhausts all legalremedies. In a statement, the Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) also said the Assam government has made necessary arrangements to provide legal aid to the needy amongst those excluded from the final National Register of Citizens (NRC) through the district legal services authorities. “Persons left out of final NRC not to be detained under any circumstance till they exhaust all remedies available under law,” the statement said. Also Read – Uddhav bats for ‘Sena CM’It added that such persons will continue to enjoy all rights as earlier, like any other citizen, e.g. right to employment, education and property, etc. The MHA said adequate judicial process is available for the people left out to appeal to the Foreigners’ Tribunals (FTs) within 120 days from August 31, when the final NRC was published. To facilitate the appeals, 200 new FTs will be functional from Monday, in addition to 100 already existing, it said. Also Read – Farooq demands unconditional release of all detainees in J&KAccording to the final NRC released on Saturday, out of the total 3.3 crore applicants, 3.11 crore figured in the list and names of about 19 lakh residents were excluded. Assam Chief Minister Sarbananda Sonowal had said last week the exclusion of someone’s name from the final NRC does not amount to the person automatically becoming a foreigner as such a decision can be taken only by a foreigners’ tribunal after following proper legal process. “No one should be worried. No one should panic. Government is here to take care of everyone. Even those who will be excluded from the final list will get enough opportunity to prove their Indian citizenship,” he had said.
Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsAppThe PDM party has graded the government and has given the PNP Administration seven F’s, and an overall failing grade as government for this first 12 months in office. There were two extremely high scores for the Rufus Ewing led government, two A pluses as a matter of fact. One for increasing taxes and the other for travelling. The PDM pulling no punches in that post convention press conference yesterday where they blasted the government for being out of touch and falling way short of their manifesto promises. The Official Opposition leader, Sharlene Cartwright Robinson said information and action have been lacking, her conclusion was this. QUOTE… “at the end of the day, I just don’t think the PNP has a plan! Or don’t know how to carry it out. They simply don’t know what to do!..END QUOTEAlso critical of the PNP in the house of assembly, one elected member for the People’s Democratic Movement expressed his frustration. QUOTE…the Ministers have a team of public servants. A whole ministry, that have a whole week, two weeks to give you your answers for you to study and come to the house, and again we come to the house, we ask basic questions and cannot get an answer. You have a whole team to prepare this answer for you. And you’re not concern about getting the answer or directing your team to prepare a response to questions? Its unacceptable!..end QUOTE.Hon Edwin Astwood there… as for what the Opposition plans to do, they say the party will turn up the heat and will launch perhaps as many as two radio shows next week in a campaign to hold the government more accountable. Related Items:
Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp#Bahamas, February 3, 2018 – Nassau – The Government of The Bahamas has begun to address the infrastructural deficit that is faced in certain areas of the country with regards to education, Prime Minister, Dr. the Hon. Hubert A. Minnis said Thursday (February 1). The process is expected to get underway in the southwest area of New Providence with the finalization of a commitment to construct a new primary school.“The Government is actively positioning itself for an aggressive construction and upgrade programme for the public school system, which will better enable learning,” Prime Minister Minnis added.Delivering the keynote address at the Bahamas Chamber of Commerce and Employers’ Confederation’s Power Breakfast at Baha Mar, Prime Minister Minnis also announced that the new leadership team at the Ministry of Education is addressing the national skills deficit and the critical need to improve sub-standard literacy, numeracy and communication levels.“The Government recognizes that the education and training of Bahamians are key factors in the progressive and sustainable economic development of The Bahamas,” Prime Minister Minnis said.“Recognizing that staff skills and competencies have a direct correlation with educational results, the Ministry of Education has embarked on the mandatory training and professional development exercise of its entire staff complement.“The Ministry has also refocused on a specific goal to increase the graduation rate,” Prime Minister Minnis added.The Prime Minister said officials have been working to enhance education via technology and experienced-based learning. As a part of that programme, the government has launched the eLearning Pilot Programme in eleven schools throughout the archipelago.“The goal of this initiative is to modernize the way Bahamian youth are educated, using tablets for interactive learning and using software that allows parents and teachers to better monitor a child’s performance.”Prime Minister Minnis said similarly, the National Training Agency (NTA) is committed to building its capacity and has a number of objectives in mind. These include identifying, developing and promoting industry standards for occupation and training programmes and developing assessment instruments that meet national, regional and international standards.The objectives also include clearly establishing the NTA as the agency for certification and accreditation of certain skills-based training programmes; preparing and implementing additional plans for workforce vocational training in accordance with national policies, economic need and industry demands, and designing and developing a tracking and monitoring system to measure the results of the agency’s activities.“I ask for your assistance in working with the National Training Agency to help reduce the skills and training deficit in the country,” Prime Minister Minnis added.By: Matt Maura (BIS) Related Items: Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp Photo caption: Prime Minister Minnis (centre left) with Cabinet members and commerce executives at the Bahamas Chamber of Commerce and Employers’ Confederation’s Power Breakfast at Baha Mar, February 1, 2018.(BIS Photo/Peter Ramsay)
Categories: Local San Diego News, Trending FacebookTwitter June 5, 2019 Sasha Foo, UCSD fraternity suspended following sexual assault allegations Updated: 10:42 AM Posted: June 5, 2019 Sasha Foo 00:00 00:00 spaceplay / pause qunload | stop ffullscreenshift + ←→slower / faster ↑↓volume mmute ←→seek . seek to previous 12… 6 seek to 10%, 20% … 60% XColor SettingsAaAaAaAaTextBackgroundOpacity SettingsTextOpaqueSemi-TransparentBackgroundSemi-TransparentOpaqueTransparentFont SettingsSize||TypeSerif MonospaceSerifSans Serif MonospaceSans SerifCasualCursiveSmallCapsResetSave SettingsSAN DIEGO (KUSI) – The University of California San Diego has placed a fraternity on suspension following allegations that members of the Sigma Chi fraternity drugged and sexually assaulted at least four women, all sorority members, during Sigma Chi events that occurred over the last academic year.The allegations Initially came to light last week when the presidents of the university’s 12 sororities received details of the alleged assaults. Some of the women who said they were attacked had written accounts which were read aloud to the members of some sororities.While the university conducts an investigation, UCSD has suspended the fraternity. Sigma Chi’s international organization has also placed the chapter on temporary suspension.In the meantime, the university’s sororities have “blacklisted” the fraternity and barred Sigma Chi from participating in their activities.Under the federal law known as Title IX, all colleges and universities must investigate allegations of sexual assault.The fraternity released a formal statement that read in part, “We’re committed to justice and accountability and we absolutely do not tolerate sexual misconduct of any kind.”The student newspaper, The Guardian reported that none of the fraternity members accused of the assaults has been expelled from the fraternity.