The Liberia National Handball Association (LNHA) has announced the extension of its forthcoming seminar in Monrovia, Tubmaburg and Harbel, according to a press release.Signed by its president Mason Saweler, the LNHA said it has been advised by the International Handball Federation (IHF) to reschedule the training, until materials for the course are in Monrovia, to a later date.“The training is important and having materials with us will be the best thing we need so we agreed with the IHF to wait until we receive the materials early next month,” Mr. Saweler said.He said the international expert selected by the IHF will arrive in Liberia as soon as he is informed that the materials have arrived.In addition, a local expert has been selected to work along with the international expert.The seminar is for physical education instructors from the various elementary, junior, high school and colleges and universities throughout the country. The seminars will last for three days each.Saweler said registration is ongoing for two participants from each of the schools. The three session events are expected to bring more than 300 participants to learn the fundamentals of handball as the LNHA is determined to make the game a national sport.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
Holders of UK Drivers licences have been urged to immediately exchange their licences for an Irish drivers licence or they run the risk of holding no valid licence after Brexit occurs, according to the Road Safety Authority. Drivers have until April 12th to exchange their licenses unless a further extension is agreed between the UK and the European Union.Speaking on Saturday, Deputy Gallagher said: “It would be prudent to act now rather than wait and see what eventual outcome there is to the UK Parliament decision on Brexit, as there will be natural delays in exchanging licences. “But if a crash out of the EU occurs with the United Kingdom, then overnight you could very well find out that your UK licence is no longer valid to use on Irish roads if you are residing in the Republic.”The Road Safety Authority (RSA) confirmed last month that the demand had reached up to 500 applications per day.The Minister for Transport Shane Ross said: “The Road Safety Authority (RSA), through the National Driver Licence Service (NDLS) are informing people to avail of the exchange facility in place to swap over the UK licence for an Irish licence before that facility extinguishes in the event of a no-deal Brexit.“Therefore it is critical that holders of UK drivers Licences avail of this exchange scheme before the Brexit deadline.” Donegal drivers urged to exchange for Irish licence before Brexit deadline was last modified: March 31st, 2019 by Shaun KeenanShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)
International soccer star Shay Given and Donegal Ladies Captain Karen Guthrie came together on Wednesday morning to raise the active flag in Castlefinn.The two Donegal native came together to raise the flag at the St Safan’s NS in Doneyloop.Following the raising of the flag, both sport stars joined the children for a question and answer session in the school with some excellent questions on what both players eat before games, what was their most memorable games were and around training. As a past pupil of the school, Karen was asked if she was happy to be back and she was delighted to be back.While Shay was asked why he wears so much hair gel by a certain senior infant.Sport stars Shay Given and Karen Guthrie raise active flag for Castlefinn school – Pic Special was last modified: June 5th, 2019 by Staff WriterShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)
DJI shows off the possibilities of its newest UAV by releasing The Circle, a fourteen-minute short film shot entirely with the Inspire 2 drone.DJI’s latest milestone: Shooting an entire short film on the company’s latest offering to the pro drone market, the Inspire 2. In addition to releasing the fourteen-minute short — The Circle — the company also shared two behind-the-scenes videos that detail the journey of making an entire film with a drone.While shorts have been shot on drones before, the impressive quality of the Inspire 2’s features — like the new X5S camera that shoots up to 5.2K in RAW — makes DJI’s accomplishment worthy of note.The X5S CameraThe X5S is the Inspire 2’s higher-end camera (a step up from the also-available X4S), and it allows the use of different lenses. For The Circle, director of photography Claudio Miranda was able to judge focus and control depth of field by making use of the Olympus 9-18mm Zoom Lens for many of the shots.One of the great features of the X5S is we can shoot up to resolutions up to 5.2K, so that gives us a lot of room for 4k output. While you’re recording ProRes or raw files on the SSD, you’re actually able to save the proxy files on the SD card. They can have a different resolution than the actual files. So you can shoot in 5.2k on the SSD and you can shoot 1080p proxy files which makes previewing way more easier. — Ferdinand Wolf, Aerial CinematographerAs you can see in the video, the DP holds the drone as he walks through the house tracking the main actors. It could be argued that the Osmo might have been handy in such a situation, but the drone-in-hand technique is an excellent application of the Inspire 2’s stabilization features.Post-ProductionThe behind-the-scenes video covers the post-production side of the short film, diving into working with the Inspire 2’s RAW footage as well as the color-grading process.The Inspire 2 has a new feature to it thats very different from the Inspire 1 — it has a new SSD system that allows you to mount directly to your DIT station or your computer. So you no longer need a proprietary application to mount the drives on there. You’re able to go right from the Inspire’s drives, plug directly to your dock on set, and be able to get instant access to the files that were shot. — Robert C. Rodriguez, Director of Technical Operations for TechnicolorThis new ability will save a lot of time in the workflow, minimizing the strain and hassle that comes with handling and coloring footage.With the release of the Inspire 2, DJI has once again set the bar for aerial videography and demonstrated the “no rules” nature of filmmaking. For more information on DJI’s latest release, check out PremiumBeat’s full Inspire 2 coverage.Looking to get your hands on the Inspire 2? Share your thoughts in the comments below.
A “Twitter war” erupted between Union Minister Giriraj Singh and the ruling JD(U) on Sunday, as the firebrand BJP leader continued with his barbs at the Bihar government.Mr. Singh, who has been repeatedly criticising the Bihar government for its “inept” handling of waterlogging in several parts of Patna following heavy rainfall, sought the forgiveness of ‘Sanatani’ (devout) Hindus for the adverse impact of the “man-made” disaster on Durga Puja festivities.‘Seek apology’ “The Durga Puja festivities have commenced from today. On behalf of the NDA, I seek an apology from the ‘Sanatanis’ living in those areas where puja, pandal and mela could not be organised because of floods,” he tweeted. JD(U) spokesman Sanjay Singh shot back with a flurry of tweets, saying Mr. Giriraj should apologise to the people of Bihar for having done “nothing” for them in the capacity of a Union Minister. “You are known for nothing except stoking controversies by your utterances.” In another tweet, the JD(U) spokesman said, “Mr. Giriraj, as the Union Minister for animal husbandry, your concern for animals must be greater than for humans… At least you should have cared for the well-being of animals. When will you realise what are your responsibilities?” Sanjay Jha, JD(U) national general secretary and the State Minister for water resources department, came out with his riposte without mentioning by name Mr. Giriraj, whose frequent attacks on the Nitish Kumar government has left the party fuming. Sharing a quote by Hollywood actor Clint Eastwood — “When you are young, you are reckless, then you get conservative, then you get reckless again” — on his Twitter handle, Mr. Jha added, “Don’t know why, but some senior leaders’ remarks on Bihar floods compel me to trace merit in the above quote! Please cooperate, don’t cause cacophony.”
Caught between the Congress-ruled government, the Rajasthan Cricket Association (RCA) and the Rajasthan State Sports Council (RSSC), the Sawai Mansingh Stadium stadium, which was till recently rated among the top four cricket grounds in India, now lies in a shambles.Adding to the ignominy is the fact that now the ground will not host the Irani Trophy match scheduled to take place between September 21 and 25. BCCI Grounds and Pitches Committee chairman V. Sundaram inspected the ground on September 8 and declared the stadium unfit for the match.The ruling has deprived the home team – which had won the Ranji Trophy twice in a row and were to face the Rest of India in the match – of the benefit of playing on home turf.Last month, the RSSC had taken over the ground and had barred the RCA from carrying out any maintenance work at the stadium. The council is headed by Shiv Charan Mali who enjoys the status and facilities of a minister of state thanks to his proximity to Chief Minister Ashok Gehlot.Ever since Mali took over two years ago, the council’s questionable decisions, such as locking the gates for cricketers prior to crucial practice sessions, denying entry to trucks bringing repair material etc, have led to the once internationally known stadium to become the laughing stock of the cricketing fraternity.Even though the local media and the RCA had warned that preventing routine repair works from being carried out at the stadium would result in the ground being declared unfit for the Irani Trophy match cut no ice with Gehlot’s men. Incessant rains necessitated that the ground be taken care of in a professional manner. However, that didn’t happen. The ground was handed to the RCA a little before the inspection was to be carried out. By then the “unfit” verdict for the stadium was a foregone conclusion.advertisementThough Mali is being blamed for this fiasco, the RCA, headed by CP Joshi, the union surface transport minister, is not doing any wonders either. Joshi has been unable to decide if he wants to run it professionally or just remain a figurehead. A non-entity, KK Sharma, a junior officer with the state government, is the RCA secretary. Like Mali, he isn’t also known for his vision or professionalism either.While Joshi and Gehlot remain at loggerheads due to state politics, Mali is busy queering the pitch for Joshi. In turn, Joshi’s indecisiveness has added to the RCA and thus cricket’s misfortune.Amid all this, cricket lovers are recalling the times when BJP’s Vasundhara Raje was chief minister and under her patronage Lalit Modi had helped bring the Sawai Mansingh Stadium on par with international standards.With the Irani Trophy cancelled, the biggest losers amid all this is the Rajasthan home team and the cricket lovers.
The U.S. men’s national soccer team (USMNT) has played on perennial ryegrass and Kentucky bluegrass and Latitude 36 Bermuda grass, but it hasn’t played a game on artificial turf in the U.S. in the past two years.1Possibly longer; the U.S. Soccer website has matches only since 2014. Compare that with the U.S. women’s national team (USWNT), which was forced this weekend to either refuse to play in a friendly match against Trinidad and Tobago because of unsuitable field conditions at Aloha Stadium in Hawaii, or to play in front of Hawaiian fans for the first time but risk injury.The argument surrounding turf versus natural playing surfaces is ongoing, but there wasn’t much nuance to the situation at Aloha Stadium: “The artificial turf was actually pulling up out of the ground,” the team wrote in a collective post on The Players’ Tribune. “There were sharp rocks ingrained all over the field.” The women chose not to play. The playing conditions for the USWNT are baffling when compared with those for the men’s team — both are overseen by governing body U.S. Soccer (USSF), and yet the men’s team has played 100 percent of its U.S. games on grass (or turf overlaid with grass) since 2014. During the same time period, the women have played less than 70 percent of their U.S. games on grass.Both teams have played fewer than 30 games in the U.S. in the past two years, so a difference in surface for a few games can dramatically change these percentages. And that’s what happened with the USWNT: In the run-up to the Women’s World Cup this summer, the USWNT had played only two games on turf since 2014, the last of which was in September 2014 at Sahlen’s Stadium in Rochester, New York. But after losing its legal battle against FIFA and the Canadian Soccer Association over artificial turf fields at the Women’s World Cup, the women returned home world champions and were awarded a 10-game victory tour — with eight matches scheduled to be played on artificial turf.Claims of sexism and discrimination have dogged the federation as the issue of playing surfaces has gained attention, and it’s not hard to see why. For instance, the USSF does not vet venues before matches for the USWNT, as it does for the USMNT. But whatever is motivating the decisions, they send a message: indifference to the preference of USWNT players, in particular when compared with the men.That preference is at root here. FIFA and other governing bodies say there is no greater risk of injury playing soccer on artificial turf than on natural grass (a recent ESPN report suggests that there might be other risks, though). The study FIFA cites is lacking, as it’s based on a small sample of mostly male teams playing on FIFA-certified turf, but it’s also irrelevant to the broader concern. Players vigorously prefer natural grass to artificial (if you’ve ever tried a slide-tackle on turf, you know the feeling), but only one set of preferences has been taken to heart. If USSF has deemed turf unsuitable for the men’s team, the women shouldn’t be playing on it either.The next game on the USWNT victory tour is a friendly Thursday at the Alamodome in San Antonio. When the USWNT last played there against Australia in 2013, Australian forward Kyah Simon tore her ACL in a noncontact play within 30 seconds of entering the match. It’s the same field that was overlaid with grass for a USMNT friendly against Mexico in April (which has its own shortcomings), but as of Monday, the USSF had no plans to remedy the Alamodome turf for the women.
Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp#Bahamas, February 3, 2018 – Nassau – The Government of The Bahamas has begun to address the infrastructural deficit that is faced in certain areas of the country with regards to education, Prime Minister, Dr. the Hon. Hubert A. Minnis said Thursday (February 1). The process is expected to get underway in the southwest area of New Providence with the finalization of a commitment to construct a new primary school.“The Government is actively positioning itself for an aggressive construction and upgrade programme for the public school system, which will better enable learning,” Prime Minister Minnis added.Delivering the keynote address at the Bahamas Chamber of Commerce and Employers’ Confederation’s Power Breakfast at Baha Mar, Prime Minister Minnis also announced that the new leadership team at the Ministry of Education is addressing the national skills deficit and the critical need to improve sub-standard literacy, numeracy and communication levels.“The Government recognizes that the education and training of Bahamians are key factors in the progressive and sustainable economic development of The Bahamas,” Prime Minister Minnis said.“Recognizing that staff skills and competencies have a direct correlation with educational results, the Ministry of Education has embarked on the mandatory training and professional development exercise of its entire staff complement.“The Ministry has also refocused on a specific goal to increase the graduation rate,” Prime Minister Minnis added.The Prime Minister said officials have been working to enhance education via technology and experienced-based learning. As a part of that programme, the government has launched the eLearning Pilot Programme in eleven schools throughout the archipelago.“The goal of this initiative is to modernize the way Bahamian youth are educated, using tablets for interactive learning and using software that allows parents and teachers to better monitor a child’s performance.”Prime Minister Minnis said similarly, the National Training Agency (NTA) is committed to building its capacity and has a number of objectives in mind. These include identifying, developing and promoting industry standards for occupation and training programmes and developing assessment instruments that meet national, regional and international standards.The objectives also include clearly establishing the NTA as the agency for certification and accreditation of certain skills-based training programmes; preparing and implementing additional plans for workforce vocational training in accordance with national policies, economic need and industry demands, and designing and developing a tracking and monitoring system to measure the results of the agency’s activities.“I ask for your assistance in working with the National Training Agency to help reduce the skills and training deficit in the country,” Prime Minister Minnis added.By: Matt Maura (BIS) Related Items: Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp Photo caption: Prime Minister Minnis (centre left) with Cabinet members and commerce executives at the Bahamas Chamber of Commerce and Employers’ Confederation’s Power Breakfast at Baha Mar, February 1, 2018.(BIS Photo/Peter Ramsay)